Works on Oil Dock in Moín Still Paralyzed

There is still no certainty as to when construction of the dock will resume, rather than being ready by the middle of this year, it will be delayed until at least January 2018.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Initial plans were that Recope's oil dock, which will allow larger vessels to dock, would be ready by the middle of this year, but it is now estimated that it could be completed in early January next year, due to problems that arose during the construction process, which is being run by the consortium ICA-MECO.

"... Progress on this port in Limon stopped at the beginning of March, because the consortium stopped paying salaries to almost 150 workers, when only 3% to 4% of the work was left to be completed, after five years of construction work and a decade of planning. Recope learned of the difficulties with the works at the end of February, when the Mexican company ICA, which is the wholesale partner of the construction consortium, with 70% of the shares, was revealed to have financial problems. MECO has the remaining 30% of shares." reports that "...The current stagnation of works and the consortium's financial problems derive from the crisis facing the construction company Ingenieros Civiles Asociados (ICA) in Mexico. Financial reports and press releases revealed the situation. From February 24 to March 8, for example, the ICA shares fell by 33% on the Mexican Stock Exchange."

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?

Do you need more information about your business sector?

Request more information:

this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423

More on this topic

Delays to Oil Dock Works in Moin

March 2017

Financial problems of the Mexican company ICA, member of the consortium in charge of building the dock in Costa Rica, could be part of the reasons behind the stoppage of work on the project.

The proposed construction of an oil dock for Recope was awarded to the consortium made up of MECO and the Mexican construction firm ICA, which since 2012 has been developing the works. The project is now 96% complete, and according to the president of Recope, Sara Salazar, the problem of non-payment, which may have led workers to stop construction, has now been resolved and work will resume in the coming days .

Contract Endorsed for Oil Dock in Moin

March 2012

The green light has been given to a contract between the Costa Rican Oil Refinery (Recope) and the ICA-MECO consortium for the works which will cost $97 million.

The Controller General of the Republic (CGR) has endorsed a contract between the Costa Rican Oil Refinery (Recope) and the consortium ICA-MECO, a case which has been pending since 1998.

Controller Confirms Award of Oil Terminal Works

December 2011

The Controller of the Republic of Costa Rica has confirmed the award of the works on the oil terminal to the consortium ICA-MECO.

The regulator dismissed appeals filed against the award on the grounds that they lacked merit.

"The tender promoted by the Costa Rican Oil Refinery (Recope) includes the construction of a Dukes quay berth, via which products that the country needs, such as gasoline, diesel and oil can be unloaded.

ICA-MECO is Awarded Oil Dock in Costa Rica

August 2011

The consortium will have 26 months to develop the oil dock project at Moin, at a cost of $96 million.

The Costa Rican Petroleum Refinery has awarded the construction and commissioning of the new oil dock to the consortium ICA - MECO, made up of the companies Ingenieros Civiles Asociados de CV and Constructora Meco S.A.