Where are the supermarkets in Central America?

In Costa Rica about 30% of supermarkets are in San Jose, Guatemala, the metropolitan area concentrates 45% of establishments, while in Panama, 32% are in West Panama.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

An analysis of the Trade Intelligence area of CentralAmericaData provides interesting results on where they are located, who they are, if they operate independently or if they belong to a chain or business group.

In Costa Rica about 27% of supermarkets identified in the national study are in the province of San Jose, another 23% in Alajuela and Heredia, and the remaining points of sale are distributed in other areas of the country.

Regarding the category of supermarkets, the study indicates that approximately 57% of establishments belong to some chain, while the remaining 43% operate independently.

Among the main supermarket chains, according to outlets in Costa Rica are Pali, Mayca, Fresh Market, Walmart and Megasuper.

In Guatemala, the metropolitan region concentrates close to 45% of the outlets identified nationally. It is followed by the departments of Escuintla, Suchitepequez and Quetzaltenango, which together represent 17% of the establishments dedicated to this business.

Regarding the chains or business groups, approximately 22% of the establishments in the study belong to Despensa Familiar, La Torre and Maxi Despensa.

On the other hand, Panama has the highest concentration of establishments in the provinces of Panama West, Panama and Chiriqui, concentrating together about 65% of the national outlets.

In Honduras, 25% of supermarkets are concentrated in the province of Francisco Morazán, while in El Salvador, about 32% of establishments are in the department of San Salvador.

Nicaragua is the Central American country that reports the lowest number of supermarkets. According to the report, 62% is concentrated in the provinces of Managua, Matagalpa and Jinotega.

CentralAmericaData it has geolocation and identification solutions for commercial establishments throughout Central America that allow estimating the value of a potential market. The tool also identifies points of sale and characterizes geographical areas.



More on this topic

Supermarkets: Strategies in the New Reality

May 2020

Ensuring customer supply, adjusting protocols to maintain store operations and supporting suppliers with more frequent payments are all part of the strategies supermarkets are applying in this new business environment.

Maintaining store operations in this scenario of health crisis and the spread of covid-19 is a real challenge for supermarkets in Central America.

Costa Rica: Which Businesses Are Operating in Santa Ana?

February 2020

It is estimated that about 25% of the commercial establishments that operate in the canton of Santa Ana correspond to companies in the service sector, which are mostly vehicle workshops, consulting and legal offices.

An analysis of commercial establishments in Costa Rica, prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData shows interesting results on the characteristics of companies operating in the canton of Santa Ana, province of San José, according to their location and type of activity.

How is the Business Environment in Antiguo Cuscatlan?

February 2020

It is estimated that in the municipality of Antiguo Cuscatlán, in El Salvador, about 23% of the commercial establishments correspond to companies in the service sector, which are mostly beauty salons, supermarkets and clothing stores.

An analysis of commercial establishments in El Salvador, prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData, gives interesting results on the characteristics of companies operating in Antiguo Cuscatlán, a municipality in the department of La Libertad, according to their location and type of activity.

How Many and What Businesses Operate in San Salvador?

January 2020

It is estimated that in San Salvador two out of every ten commercial establishments are service sector companies, which are mostly vehicle maintenance workshops, banks and consulting agencies.

An analysis of commercial establishments in El Salvador, prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData, shows interesting results on the characteristics of the companies operating in the country's capital, according to their location and type of activity.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Business and Investment

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Gluten-free food business for sale

Operating Company dedicated to the manufacture of gluten-free and sugar-free products, OHNE brand.
The OHNE brand has 8 product lines: square bread, sweet...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Jul 7)
Brent Crude Oil
43.02
Coffee "C"
97.65
Gold
1,795
Silver
18.545