The High Cost of Bureaucracy

The time invested to meet requirements and obtain a response in a process in Salvadoran government institutions costs to the society more than $400 million a year.

Thursday, December 20, 2018

According to data from the Regulatory Improvement Body (OMR), in El Salvador 90% of the costs incurred by users are the result of the time spent to meet the requirements for the procedure, and the remaining 10% corresponds to the waiting time for the response.

The OMR explains that "... On average, 164 procedures are done per ministry, 11 requirements are requested per modality, to obtain resolution, 38 calendar days must be awaited and generate a unit cost of $1,788.06."

Elsalvador.com reports that "... Those who pay the most for the formalities are legal entities. Of the 2,240 modalities, 67% are business with a CES equivalent to $276.9 million. On the other hand, the remaining 725 types of procedures are citizens and cost them more than $130 million annually."

The article details that the institutions generating the highest costs are:

"1. Ministry of Finance With 47.9% of the total cost, it totaled more than $195 million. Greater barriers for import permits and international or domestic transit.
2. Public Works reaches $73.8 million mostly in matriculation and transfer procedures.
3. Education with $28.7 million of the total. The major procedure is the reinstatement of the bachelor's degree.
4. Foreign Relations mainly for the issuance of passports, totaled $28.3 million.
5. Agriculture with $21 million, mostly for phytosanitary import authorizations.
"

Do you need more information about your business sector?

Request more information:








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

The Much Promised Simplification of Procedures

February 2018

The first stage of reduction of procedures that the Salvadoran government plans to implement in the coming months will include eliminating duplication of procedures between entities.

Since last October, the Regulatory Improvement Organization (OMR) has been working on the preparation of a project that aims to reduce costs of procedures by 20% with the simplification of procedures in 13 ministries. 

El Salvador: Reforms to the Commercial Code

October 2017

A proposal has been made for registration of companies to be certified directly in the National Center of Records, eliminating the high cost of certification through means of notaries.

An article on Elmundo.sv notes that Jaime Campos, executive director of the Regulatory Improvement Organization (OMR), created by FOMILENIO II, said that El Salvador "...

Initiative to Simplify Business Registration

July 2017

In El Salvador a proposal has been made to reform the Commercial Code to eliminate the requirement for a public inscription to register companies whose initial capital is less than $100 thousand.

The proposal is part of a series of reforms proposed by the Regulatory Improvement Organization (OMR), to reduce costs and streamline procedures to start new businesses in the country.  

Panama: Wrong Data Cited in Doing Business Report

January 2015

Claims have been made that the time it takes to undertake the procedures needed to start up a business stated in the Doing Business report are much longer in reality.

With the aim of improving competitiveness, private sector representatives have asked the Panamanian government to cut the amount of red tape, as some of the processes can take up to a year.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Business and Investment

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Professional ink refill franchise for sale

Ink and toner refills with latest generation machinery exclusively for the franchisee in Central America, investment opportunity with fast return.
Ink and toner refills with latest generation machinery...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Jan 27)
Brent Crude Oil
56.010
Coffee "C"
127.85
Gold
1,844
Silver
25.210