Pork: Regional Market Figures

In the last five years, pork consumption in Central America increased 42%, from 197,000 tons in 2014 to nearly 279,000 tons in 2019, growth that was boosted by the Salvadoran and Honduran markets.

Friday, May 22, 2020

Figures from the "Pork Market Snapshot" prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData, detail that in the last two years’ regional consumption of pork registered a 3% increase, since between 2018 and 2019 it is estimated that demand in Central America rose from 270 thousand metric tons to 279 thousand tons.

The report states that by 2018, 80% of the volume of pork consumed in Central American countries corresponded to local production, while the remaining 20% is imported by companies.

During 2018, Costa Rica, Panama and Guatemala concentrated approximately 81% of regional meat production, while the remaining 19% was produced in El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras.

Between 2008 and 2018, per capita consumption of beef in Central American countries increased by 33%, an increase that was boosted by the Costa Rican, Panamanian and Honduran markets.

CentralAmericaData's "Pork Market Snapshot" has the most updated information, which contains production figures and their destination, consumption and origin, prices, sales, per capita consumption and projections, with details at the regional level and by country.

Do you need to understand the new environment of the pork market? Contact Us!








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Liquid Milk: Regional Market Up 16%

May 2020

In the last five years, liquid milk sales in Central America increased 16%, from $3,935 million in 2014 to about $4,566 million in 2019, growth that was boosted by the Costa Rican and Honduran markets.

Figures from the "Liquid Milk Market Snapshot" prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData, detail that in the last five years the volume consumed at regional level of liquid milk registered an increase, since between 2014 and 2019 it is estimated that demand in Central America rose from 3,907 to 4,202 million liters.

Beef: Regional Market Up 4%

March 2020

In the last five years, beef consumption in Central America increased 4%, from 335,000 tons in 2014 to about 347,000 tons in 2019, growth that was boosted by the Salvadoran and Honduran markets.

Figures from the "Beef Market Snapshot" prepared by the Trade Intelligence Unit of CentralAmericaData, detail that in the last two years’ regional consumption of beef registered a slight increase, since between 2018 and 2019 it is estimated that demand in Central America rose from 341 thousand metric tons to 347 thousand tons.

Pork Consumption Expectations

March 2019

In Honduras, annual per capita consumption is estimated at 11 pounds, but by 2025 producers expect the figure to rise to 18 pounds.

Figures from the National Association of Pig Farmers of Honduras (Anapoh) detail that during 2018 the consumption of pork in the country reached 103 million pounds, of which about 36 million pounds were produced locally, and the remaining volume was imported, mainly from the U.S.

Central America Consumes More Pork Meat

September 2017

In the last five years annual per capita consumption of pork in the countries of the region increased from 4.6 kilos in 2012 to 5.3 kilos in 2016, and growth was driven mainly by Panama and Costa Rica.

Between 2012 and 2016 regional pork consumption has maintained an upward trend, growing from 205 thousand tons in 2012 to 249 thousand tons in 2016, which is an increase of 21%. 

 close (x)

Receive more news about Animal husbandry

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Looking for Importers and distributors of furniture

Mexican manufacturer of office furniture seeks importers and distributors interested in dealing their products in Central America.
PM Steele is a 100% Mexican company, with more than 67...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Oct 20)
Brent Crude Oil
43.440
Coffee "C"
107.60
Gold
1,912
Silver
25.01