Outlook for Costa Rican Industry in 2013

A study reveals that the cost of electricity and the exchange rate are the main factors affecting the competitiveness of Costa Rica's industry.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From a statement by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica (CICR):

Industrial production will grow moderately, but employment will stagnate

• 65% of companies surveyed will increase their production, but only 28% will increase their payroll.
• The cost of electricity remains the dominant factor affecting the competitiveness of the industry in Costa Rica.

March 2013.
2013 appears normal for industry. So reveals the study entitled "Business Outlook and valuation factors for Costa Rican industrial competitiveness in 2013", conducted by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica, in order to find out the general behaviour of firms, expectations for employment generation and production for this year, and the factors that affect the sector's competitiveness.

The study was conducted between January 28 and March 8 this year, and included a representative sample of 200 companies, of which 25% were SMEs and 75% larger companies (53% smaller and 22% medium) .

The results show that 2012 was considered a relatively good year for 75% of companies surveyed, while the remaining 25% described it as a modest year. However, the overall assessment was lower than that reported by business people in 2011. Given the expectations for 2013, half of the companies surveyed believe that the situation in general will be more encouraging, compared to 40% who expect a similar scenario to 2012, while 10% said that their situation would get worse.



More on this topic

The Worries That Keep Businessmen Awake At Night

February 2018

The high cost of energy and the fiscal deficit are two of the problems that worry companies in Costa Rica, who also face an uncertain political scenario, a few weeks to go before a second round of elections.

With a month and a half to go before a second round of elections, Costa Rican businessmen highlighted a difficult year in terms of job creation and attraction of new investments.

Costa Rica: Prospects for Industry in 2016

May 2016

Despite the impact that the high cost of energy and social security contributions have had on their competitiveness, medium and large companies anticipate a slight improvement in results this year.

From a statement issued by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica:h

Tuesday May 17, 2016.

Costa Rica: Black Clouds for Industry

June 2015

While SMEs show some optimism, large industries are more realistic and more cautious with their growth expectations.

From a statement issued by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica (ICRC):

Industrial companies are not any more optimistic than they were last year. This is the result of the study entitled "Business Outlook and competitiveness factors in the industrial sector, 2015" conducted annually by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica and presented today to the media.

Costa Rica: Outlook Bleak for Industrialists

April 2014

Industrial production is becoming increasingly expensive in a country where the government seems to have no desire to lower electricity costs and promote competitiveness.

From a press release issued by the Chamber of Industries of Costa Rica (ICRC):

The outlook for the industrial sector of the country is not very encouraging for 2014.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Industry

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Gluten-free food business for sale

Operating Company dedicated to the manufacture of gluten-free and sugar-free products, OHNE brand.
The OHNE brand has 8 product lines: square bread, sweet...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Jan 19)
Brent Crude Oil
55.870
Coffee "C"
128.95
Gold
1,840
Silver
25.300