How to Export Ornamental Plants to Mexico

On July 29th training will be provided in Guatemala on the requirements and conditions to export flowers, foliage and ornamental plants to Mexico.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

From a statement issued by the Guatemalan Exporters Association (Agexport):

The Committee on Ornamental Plants, Foliage and flowers at AGEXPORT, in order to open new markets for member companies, has reached an agreement with the Agricultural Department of the Embassy of Mexico to provide tools which aim to provide entry for Guatemalan ornamental products into the neighboring country because of the barriers that have existed in previous years.

In this respect, on July 29, 2014 the Commission will provide a training course entitled "How to Introduce ornamental plants, foliage and flowers to the Mexican market," which will address issues such as food trade between Mexico and Guatemala, as well as market access for Ornamentals which will be taught by the Mexican expert Guillermo Leon of the Agricultural Ministry.

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?

More on this topic

Opportunity for Plants, Flowers and Foliage in the USA

December 2017

The United States has developed a local production of ornamentals and flowers, valued at $13.6 billion, which is complemented by imports that in 2016 totaled $2 billion.

From the executive summary of the report entitled "Market for plants, flowers and foliage in the USA", by Procomer Costa Rica:

Plant and Flower Exports in Guatemala

November 2016

Almost $100 million is the export value of the over 500 species and three thousand varieties of ornamental plants, cut flowers and foliage shipped in 2015.

Of the total production of flowers, ornamental plants and foliage, 80% goes to the international market, while the remaining 20% is sold locally. In 2015 sales abroad totaled $95.3 million, and between January and August this year the figure has already exceeded $70 million.

Guatemala: The Ornamental Plant Trade

December 2015

125 companies are engaged in the production and export of ornamental plants, flowers and foliage, generating more than $86 million in revenue in 2014 alone.

Companies in this sector plan expect to close 2015 with an increase of 5% in exports of ornamental plants compared to 2014, although the European market has yet to regain the levels of imports of plants and flowers it had before the crisis that erupted in 2009.

Good Year for Ornamental Plants in Guatemala

January 2013

Foreign sales of flowers, foliage and ornamental plants increased by 8% in 2012, totaling $81 million, which is $8 million more than last year.

The sector projected for this year an increase of 6.2% in exports. "Businessmen and producers see that it is necessary to promote growth of the sector and view the crisis in European countries as an opportunity", said Brigitte Obrock, coordinator of the commission of Ornamental Foliage and flowers at Agexport.