Honduran Central Bank injects $275 million into the market

In a strange move the Central Bank decided to use $273 million of its international reserves to inject resources into the economy.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The measure was announced by the head of the Bank, Edwin Araque, and is equivalent to more than $5 billion that will enter the economy via the national banking system.

The Honduran economy has seen a drop in liquidity in the last few months, which when added to the global economic crisis, will cause a reduction in economic growth.

More on this topic

Costa Rica’s Economy Slowing Down

December 2012

Indicators show a loss of dynamism in the Costa Rican economy, which fell from a year on year growth of 7.2% in February, to 2.39% in October.

The editorial in Nacion.com notes the risks posed for next year, 2013, for Costa Rica's economy, if the symptoms which have been noticed deepen, either because of global economic vicissitudes, or from lack response from the government or private economic participants.

Honduras: Historical Growth for Banking Liquidity

August 2009

Between January and July 2009, the liquidity of Honduran Banks grew 242%, from $1.05 billion to $2.45 billion.

60% of available funds are in Lempiras, the national currency, while the remaining 40% are in dollars.

Such growth was a result of monetary policies by the Central Bank of Honduras, who increased the amount of money in the economy by removing some obligatory investments on deposits, and reducing and eliminating reserve requirements.

Liquidity of Bank Honduras Increases 82% in 6 Months

February 2009

The banking system of Honduras registered in January a liquidity of $952 million, $435 million more than that of July 2008.

According to the president of the Central Bank of Honduras, Edwin Araque, this is due to the policies of a gradual reduction in the banking adjustments and the measures to limit the credit for consumption and commerce and to promote the productive sectors.

IDB approves $500 million for Costa Rica

December 2008

The funds will be used to deal with the possible lack of liquidity next year due to the international financial crisis.

"This loan will inject Zuniga, who also added that with the funds from the IDB the authorities are seeking to provide "sustainable growth" for the Costa Rican economy.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Banking

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones

Blue Marlin Beach Resort - Belize

Diving, Fishing, Snorkeling and relaxation resort in southern Belize. Situated on the island of isla South Water Caye the Blue Marlin offers accommodations, meals, all inclusive packages.
The resort is situated 14 miles East-South-East of...

Stock Indexes

(Aug 30)
Dow Jones
S&P 500


(Oct 20)
Brent Crude Oil
Coffee "C"