Guatemala: Slightly Lower Unemployment Rate

Between 2018 and 2019, the unemployment rate in the country did not vary significantly, falling by just 0.3% from 2.8% to 2.5%.

Friday, January 17, 2020

Data from the 2019 National Income and Employment Survey (ENEI 1), prepared by the National Statistics Institute (INE), show that at the time of the survey the unemployed population was 179,000, down from 194,000 in the ENEI I of 2018.

The survey details that 70% of jobs are in the informal sector and the remaining 30% of jobs are in the formal sector.

Luis Linares Lopez, an analyst from the Social Studies Research Association (Asíes), explained to Prensalibre.com that "... people have an average education among the employed population, but they cannot find full-time employment and are forced to work in places with less time than an ordinary day they would like to work and this is because there are not enough jobs available, especially for young people who are more educationally prepared."

Linares added that "... there are small and not very relevant changes in the ENEI and from one year to the next it is very difficult for substantial or drastic changes to occur."

See ENEI 1 - 2019.

Do you need to keep track of the key economic indicators in Central America?

Request more information about our Regional Economic Monitor.








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Unemployment Rate Closes 2019 at 12.4%

February 2020

Between the third and fourth quarters of 2019, the open unemployment rate in Costa Rica rose from 11.4% to 12.4%, partly because of the increase in women's unemployment.

In a year-on-year comparison, the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INEC) report states that the national unemployment rate for the fourth quarter of 2019 remains unchanged from the fourth quarter of 2018 at 12.4%.

Costa Rica: Unemployment Remains at 8.7%

August 2018

Results for the second quarter of 2018 did not show significant variations compared to the 8.5% registered in the second quarter of last year.

In this second quarter of 2018 the employed population increased by 80,000 people compared to the second quarter of 2017

Costa Rica: Unemployment Rises to 10.3%

May 2018

The unemployed population with respect to the labor force increased 1.2%, going from 9.1% in the first quarter of 2017, to 10.3% in the first quarter of 2018.

- The employment rate was 51.8%, while in the same period last year it was 54%.

Costa Rica: Labor Participation Still Falling

November 2016

In the third quarter the national net labor participation rate fell by 3% compared to the same period in 2015.

From a statement issued by the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INEC) 

Results of Continuous Employment Survey III quarter 2016

 close (x)

Receive more news about Economics

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Professional ink refill franchise for sale

Ink and toner refills with latest generation machinery exclusively for the franchisee in Central America, investment opportunity with fast return.
Ink and toner refills with latest generation machinery...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Jun 4)
Brent Crude Oil
39.320
Coffee "C"
100.10
Gold
1,701
Silver
17.92