Guatemala: New Private Highway Planned

Private investors are planning to build a four-lane highway, 31 kilometers long, which would serve as a beltway for vehicles passing through the municipalities of San Bernardino, Mazatenango and Cuyotenango, department of Suchitepéquez.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

This new investment would be executed in a format similar to that of the Via Alterna del Sur (VAS), which is private and operates on a toll basis, and crosses the southern municipalities of the metropolitan area between these Villa Nueva and Villa Canales, in the department of Guatemala.

The new road, which will be on the South Coast and will require about $156 million in investment, will be an alternate route of the CA-2 West highway, specifically between kilometer 142 and 173.

See "Road Infrastructure: Projects for $3.3 Billion"

Luis Pedro Batres, consultants of IDC firm, explained to Prensalibre.com that "... 56 private owners were identified on the land. Of these, we have already had conversations with 100% and 97% of them agree and have provided a letter of interest to sell, with the remaining 3% still under negotiation."

Also see "Guatemala: Private Road to be Ready by 2020"

Batres added that they have already spoken "... with the mayors of San Lorenzo, Santo Domingo, Mazatenango and San Gabriel. They have yet to talk about the issue with the three municipalities of Suchitepequez and those of Retalhuleu, he added. Among these are San Antonio, San José El Ídolo, Cuyotenango, San Andrés Villa Seca and Santa Cruz Mulúa."

According to the consulting firm, the charge for using the road section would be similar to that of the VAS and the Palín-Escuintla highway, which charge about Q15 for a light vehicle.

Do you need to keep track of the key economic indicators in Central America?

Request more information about our Regional Economic Monitor.








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Guatemala: Private Road to be Ready by 2020

September 2019

It is expected that the section of the Via Alterna del Sur that will connect the municipality of Villa Canales with Zone 21 of the Guatemalan capital will begin operating at the end of next year.

The new section being built on the Via Alterna del Sur (VAS) will be about 7 kilometers long and will connect the municipality of Villa Canales with the Atanasio Tzul roadway in Guatemala City.

Progress in Process to Resume Road Works

February 2018

Although they have not finished liquidating the contracts with the Brazilian company Odebrecht, Guatemalan authorities say that the bids to conclude the works are going ahead.

The contracts that the Ministry of Communications intends to terminate early are those corresponding to the extension of 97 kilometers of the CA-2 West highway.

A New Toll Road in Guatemala

May 2017

Plans are underway to build, in the municipality of Villa Canales, a 9 kilometer toll road with 6 lanes, which will connect at kilometer 23 with Carretera to El Salvador and with the Via Alterna del Sur.

According to the interactive information system "Construction Projects in Guatemala", complied by the Business Intelligence Unit at CentralAmericaData, Tramo SB-3, S.A. submitted an Environmental Impact Study (EIA) called "Vía SB-3", to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources in March 2017.

Costa Rica: Private Group Wants to Build Road

August 2014

A group of Costa Rican construction companies insists with the proposal made to the previous administration to expand the 107 kilometer of the road to Limon at a cost lower than the Chinese option.

The five builders who suggested their plan to the former officials of the Ministry of Transport and Public Works are once again knocking on the doors of the institution, this time proposing that the current chief, Carlos Segnini, consider the initiative as an alternative to the loan from the government of China, of $465 million.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Infrastructure & Construction

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Tailor made software for construction companies

O4Bi is a system that allows to control and manage what a company needs: the complete process of development of works, accounts receivable, treasury, banks, sales and accounting.
O4Bi is a very robust system that allows to control and...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Feb 20)
Brent Crude Oil
59.08
Coffee "C"
106.45
Gold
1,619
Silver
18.375