From Trade Barriers to Safeguards

Following what began as a blockade by Panama on the entry of animal products from Costa Rica, a formal proposal has been made to apply an import tariff to Costa Rican dairy products marketed in the Panamanian market.

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

In July of this year, Panama informed the National Animal Health Service (SENASA), an agency of the Costa Rican Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAG), of the decision not to extend the export authorization to a list of Costa Rican establishments previously authorized and that have been trading in the Panamanian market for many years.

See "Movements in Regional Commercial Chess"

When this trade dispute began, it was perceived as a problem that could be solved by technical inspections of food production plants operating in Costa Rica. However, plans have changed, and now Panamanian authorities are focusing on taxing dairy products of Costa Rican origin.

Also see "More Technical Solutions, Less Policy"

The document sent by the Panamanian authorities to the Costa Rican Ministries of Foreign Trade (Comex) and Agriculture and Livestock (MAG), specifies that the intention is to create "... the special agricultural safeguard mechanism for certain dairy products. The safeguard mechanism will take the form of an import tariff."

Duayner Salas, head of the Comex told Nacion.com that "... 'in effect, we received from the trade authorities a proposal, which we are analyzing and reviewing to respond according to what is feasible to implement in terms of our bilateral relationship with Panama'."

According to Renato Alvarado, Minister of Agriculture and Livestock, "... the safeguard mechanism is not justified when the Panamanian market is in deficit in dairy products. They produce 60% of the consumption and Costa Rica participates with its exports in the other 40% of the market, without causing damage to the local industry."

You may be interested in "Dairy Products: What goes on in the consumer's mind?"

For the National Chamber of Dairy Producers of Costa Rica, it is not feasible to attend these proposals from any commercial partner that are not consistent with the framework that regulates the relationship between both economies.

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?



More on this topic

Protectionism = Economic Losses

May 2021

As a result of the blockade that has been in place since July 2020 on the entry of animal products from Costa Rica into the Panamanian market, Costa Rican exports to Panama are reported to have fallen and companies such as Dos Pinos are reporting losses in the millions.

The trade conflict began when Panama informed the National Animal Health Service (SENASA), an agency of Costa Rica's Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAG), of the decision not to extend export authorization to a list of previously authorized Costa Rican establishments that have been trading in the Panamanian market for many years.

Sugar Tariffs: More Threats to Costa Rica

November 2020

Following in Brazil's footsteps, Canada warned the WTO about the possibility of imposing compensation against the Costa Rican authorities' policy of raising the tariff on imported sugar from 45% to 73%.

Arguing that imports were growing unusually high and local production was being undermined, in June of this year the Alvarado administration decided to increase the tariff on sugar entering the country to 79% and for a period of three years.

Protectionism in Times of Crisis

June 2020

Arguing that the unusual growth in sugar imports is harming local production, the Alvarado administration decided to raise the tariff on products entering Costa Rica from 45% to 73% for a three-year period.

The Ministry of Economy, Industry and Commerce (MEIC) concluded the investigation requested by the Agricultural Industrial League of Sugar Cane (LAICA) and 4 mills, on the safeguard measure against imports of solid state, granulated sugar, known as white sugar, used for domestic and industrial consumption, justifying a deterioration in the main economic indicators of the National Production Branch (RPN), details an official statement dated June 15.

Contradictions in Costa Rica's Foreign Trade

February 2016

The private sector is demanding homogeneity in the foreign trade strategy, since the situation today is that there is "one protectionist minister and another who works for free trade."

In the words of José Manuel Quirce, president of the Chamber of Importers of Costa Rica (Crecex), the Solis administration needs to focus on "...

ok