Figures from the Livestock Sector in Costa Rica

The 52% of the total cattle registered in the country corresponds to animals for meat production, 16% to dairy cattle and 31% for double purpose.

Friday, February 1, 2019

The National Agricultural Survey (ENA 2017), carried out by the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INEC), details that among the main results was found that the country has 1,497,551 head of cattle.

See "Beef: Increasing Business with the US"

The report states that "... 70.4% of cattle are females, which affects the reproductive and growth capacity of the herd. During the period from January 1 to December 31, 2017, it is estimated that 428,277 animals were born on the farms. Of these, the largest proportion are meat animals (40.3%) and dual-purpose animals (37.9%). As for the distribution by sex of the animals born, 47.6% were males and 52.4% were females."

You may be interested in "Veterinary vaccines: Imports grow 26%"

Regarding pigs, it is detailed that "... The number of pigs reported was 334,934 animals, of which 88.0% are for meat production. The remaining 12.0% corresponds to pigs destined for reproductive work, where females or bellies predominate (92.7%). According to the above, there is an approximate ratio of 13 wombs per boar.

The number of pigs born on the farms was 611 377 animals, obtaining a ratio of approximately 16 piglets per female. The average number of births per female in 2017 was 1.6; the number of weaning days of the animals averaged 34 days; and the days between weaning and pregnancy averaged 15 days."

See more details.

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?

Do you need more information about your business sector?

Request more information:

this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423

More on this topic

Cattle Slaughter Increases 3%

March 2020

Between the first two months of 2019 and the same period in 2020, the number of pigs slaughtered in Panama increased by only 1%, while cattle slaughtering grew by 3%.

The General Comptroller's Office of the Republic of Panama reported that 80,841 heads of pigs were slaughtered in the first two months of the year, a figure higher than the 80,067 reported in the same period of 2019.

Costa Rica: Cattle Herd Grows 5%

December 2019

Between 2017 and 2018, the number of cattle rose from 1.49 million to 1.58 million, an increase of 5%.

The National Agricultural Survey (ENA) prepared by the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses, specifies that of the total number of cattle counted in 2018, 61.8% corresponds to meat production, 15.8% was allocated to milk production, 22.2% dual purpose and finally, working animals represent 0.2%.

Cattle Slaughter: Figures up to May 2019

June 2019

Between the first five months of 2018 and the same period in 2019, the slaughter of cattle in Panama increased 4%, while that of pigs decreased 8%.

The most recent report of the General Comptroller of the Republic of Panama details that in the first five months of the year 137,636 head of cattle were slaughtered, a figure higher than the 132,136 reported in the same period of 2018.

Panama: Statistics on Cattle and Pigs

February 2018

Up to September 2017, the number of head of cattle decreased by 2% compared to the same month in 2016, while pigs increased by 3%.

According to figures from the Livestock Survey, prepared by the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INEC), as of September 2017 there were 1.5 million cattle, 398 thousand pigs and 25.4 million hens and young chickens.