Exports of Ornamental Plants Increases

In Guatemala shipments abroad rose 9% in 2011, bringing revenues of $30.5 million, $3.4 million more than last year.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Committee of Ornamental Plants, Foliage and Flowers of the Guatemalan Association of Exporters (Agexport) reported that up to December 2011 the sector's exports increased by 3% to Europe and the United States and 6% to Central America, and in total recorded 9% growth compared to 2010.

"The reason why our customers choose the Guatemalan market to buy these products is the quality we have demonstrated in the propagation, production and durability of our plants for over 20 years," said Byron Calderon, director of the committee, to Siglo21.com.gt.

According to the Bank of Guatemala, the country exported $30.5 million in 2011, $3.4 million more than in 2010.

According to Calderon, Guatemala has natural advantages for growing plants and flowers because of its 23 microclimates, which allow cultivation with low production costs and the use of local raw materials.

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?

More on this topic

International Agricultural Fair in Guatemala

December 2014

Ornamental plants are part of agricultural export products to be exhibited from March 12nd to 13th, 2015 in the trade fair Agritrade & Expo 2015, to be held in Antigua.

From a statement issued by the Guatemalan Exporters Association (-AGEXPORT-):

In order to meet the demand for new market niches, the Commission on Ornamental Plants at AGEXPORT is inviting farmers to participate in the agricultural platform AGRITRADE Expo & Conference, an event which will be held on 12 and 13 March 2015 in Santo Domingo Hill, Antigua Guatemala, as there will be very high level buyers who are interested in the sector.

How to Export Ornamental Plants to Mexico

July 2014

On July 29th training will be provided in Guatemala on the requirements and conditions to export flowers, foliage and ornamental plants to Mexico.

From a statement issued by the Guatemalan Exporters Association (Agexport):

The Committee on Ornamental Plants, Foliage and flowers at AGEXPORT, in order to open new markets for member companies, has reached an agreement with the Agricultural Department of the Embassy of Mexico to provide tools which aim to provide entry for Guatemalan ornamental products into the neighboring country because of the barriers that have existed in previous years.

Vegetable Exports

September 2012

The leading exporter in Central America is Guatemala, who in the first six months of 2012 sold $93 million worth of vegetables.

"The country's main export products are grown in cold or mild weather.

In the case of tomatos, in 2011 eight thousand 822 hectares were planted, of which 305, 427metric tons were harvested and of these 46, 609 tonnes were exported .

Production of Ornamental Plants Increases in Guatemala

September 2010

The Guatemalan industry of ornamental plants, flowers and foliage in Guatemala is growing at an annual rhythm of 10%.

This sector, that generates annual incomes close to $100 million, groups more than 125 companies that produce and export nearly 80 species and 200 varieties of ornamental plants, foliage and flowers, indicated the director of the ornamental plants commission of the Guatemalan Association of Exporters (Agexport), Briggitte Obrock.