Dominican Republic: Tourism Record in 2017

In 2017 tourist arrivals to the country grew by 4% compared to the flow in the previous year, however, the latest figure was below the increases of 6% and 9% recorded in 2016 and 2015 respectively.

Thursday, January 25, 2018

From a Report by the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic:

The cumulative arrival of non-resident passengers at the end of 2017, which includes non-resident foreign and Dominican visitors, reached the historic figure of 6,187,542 people, when 228,195 additional travelers arrived compared to 2016, making an interannual increase of 3.8%. 

Of this increase, it can be seen that 96.4% correspond to foreign tourists (219,907 passengers) and the remaining 3.6% to Dominicans living abroad (8,288 passengers).

When analyzing the composition of tourists according to regions of residence during the year 2017, it can be seen that 56.3% of them come from North America, followed in order of importance by Europe with 25.9%, South America with 12.8%, Central America and the Caribbean with 4.6% and Asia and the rest of the world with a joint participation of 0.4 percent.

See full report (in Spanish).

Do you need to keep track of the key economic indicators in Central America?

Request more information about our Regional Economic Monitor.








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.


More on this topic

Tourist Arrivals: New Record in 2018

January 2019

Last year, tourist arrivals in the Dominican Republic totaled 6.6 million, making it the highest reported figure, surpassing the 6.2 million recorded in 2017.

The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic reported that "... The cumulative arrival of non-resident passengers at the close of 2018, which includes foreign visitors and non-resident Dominicans, reached the historic figure of 6,568,888 people, reaching 381,346 additional travelers compared to 2017, for a 6.2% year-on-year growth. Of this increase, 69.4% corresponds to foreign tourists (264,544 additional passengers) and the remaining 30.6% to Dominicans living abroad (116,802 additional passengers). These results show that the country remains one of the most attractive vacation destinations in the entire island Caribbean.

Tourist Arrivals Keep Increasing

October 2018

From January to September of this year, the Dominican Republic registered the arrival of 5 million tourists, 6% more than the figure reported in the same period in 2017.

The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic reported that the influx of non-resident visitors in the period January-September 2018 registered the historic figure of 5,009,417 passengers, being the first time that this number of non-resident travelers is reached during the first nine months of the year, arriving 297,931 additional travelers compared to the same period of 2017, representing an accumulated year-on-year growth of 6.3%.

Tourist Arrivals Up 6% in I Semester 2018

July 2018

From January to June of this year, the Dominican Republic registered the arrival of 3.4 million tourists, 6% more than was reported in the same period in 2017.

From a Report by the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic:

In the month of June 2018, the records show a total arrival of 586,807 non-resident passengers by air, of which 497,997 were foreigners and 88,810 were non-resident Dominicans, representing growth of 7.5% with respect to the same month in the year 2017, keeping the Dominican Republic as the main tourist destination in the insular Caribbean. Within this result, the foreigners segment recorded an annualized increase of 6.3%, while non-resident Dominicans experienced a variation of 15.4%. 

Tourist Arrivals Up 6% up to May 2018

June 2018

During the first five months of 2018, the Dominican Republic recorded the arrival of 2.8 million tourists, 6% more than was reported in the same period in 2017.

From a Report by the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic:

The arrival of non-resident passengers by air to the Dominican Republic, including foreigners and Dominicans, registered a year-on-year growth of 7.0% in the month of May, reaching a total of 506,178 passengers, equivalent to an increase of 33,290 passengers with respect to the same month of the previous year. Within this result, the segment of foreigners presented an annualized variation of 6.0% (24,867 additional tourists) and non-resident Dominicans experienced an interannual increase of 13.7% (8,423 additional passengers). 

 close (x)

Receive more news about Tourism

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Looking for Importers and distributors of furniture

Mexican manufacturer of office furniture seeks importers and distributors interested in dealing their products in Central America.
PM Steele is a 100% Mexican company, with more than 67...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Jan 29)
Brent Crude Oil
59.440
Coffee "C"
107.3
Gold
1,568
Silver
17.42