Deterioration of Costa Rica's Energy Matrix

Of the 5,116 GW / h produced in the first six months of 2013, 84% was generated from renewable energy, while a year ago the percentage was 91%.

Monday, September 9, 2013

From a press release issued by the Costa Rican Union of Chambers and Associations of Private Enterprises (UCCAEP):

A report by the Comptroller General of the Republic shows a deterioration in energy generation from renewable sources in Costa Rica.

In the first half of the year, the National Electric System had a production of 5,116 GWh, of which 84% came from renewable energy, and the remaining 16% from thermal energy.

This data reveals that there is a decline in respect to the first half of 2012, when the percentage of clean energy production had reached 91.17%.

The decline, according to the overseeing body, is due to a drier hydrological situation than expected, forcing the use of thermal generation fuels, causing an increase of 33% over the last twelve months in rates paid by families and businesses.



More on this topic

Analysis of Electricity Sector in Central America

July 2014

In 2013 63% of the electrical energy fed into the transmission networks in the region was generated from renewable sources.

From a report entitled "Central America: production statistics for the electricity subsector, 2013", prepared by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC):

Costa Rica: Green Light for Energy Tender

July 2013

A ruling by the Constitutional Court has enabled the Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad to buy 140 MW from private generators.

From a press release issued by the Costa Rican Union of Chambers and Associations of Private Enterprises (UCCAEP):

The Costa Rican Union of Chambers and Associations of Private Enterprises (UCCAEP) applauds the decision by judges at the Constitutional Court to reject outright the claim of unconstitutionality which sought to stop the tender for 140 MW which the Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE) carried out in order to buy from private generators.

Obligation to Buy Clean Energy and at Lowest Cost

December 2012

The government of Costa Rica forces the Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad to buy clean energy and at the lowest costs found in the local market.

René Castro, Minister of Environment said that the ICE does not always acquire clean energy with the lowest costs, "That has not always been so, and sometimes it buys the power that is available in the institution, not that which is available in the country.

The Potential of Clean Energy in Costa Rica

September 2012

Costa Rica has the energy sources - water, wind, sun and underground heat - as well as the required financial resources to make 100% of its energy "clean".

An article in Ticotimes.net reports on the current situation of the power generation market in Costa Rica, which has gotten worse in recent years in terms of environmental pollution, as it increases the percentage of electricity produced in plants which use fossil fuels.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Energy

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Looking for Importers and distributors of furniture

Mexican manufacturer of office furniture seeks importers and distributors interested in dealing their products in Central America.
PM Steele is a 100% Mexican company, with more than 67...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Oct 30)
Brent Crude Oil
37.890
Coffee "C"
107.35
Gold
1,885
Silver
23.67