Costa Rica endorses FTA with Panama

The Constitutional Court endorsed the FTA with Panama after finding no conflicts with the Constitution; the project will be voted on in Congress in the next few days.

Monday, October 6, 2008

The ruling issued by the Court indicates that "there are no essential vices in the proceeding of said project" nor in the details of the agreement. With this resolution, the FTA between Costa Rica and Panama will return to Congress for the second round of voting and the last debate withing the next few days. After this it will be signed by President Oscar Arias.
The FTA will allow 94% of Costa Rica's industrial products to have immediate duty-free access to the Panamanian market. The remaining 6% will have the tariffs gradually removed over a period of 5 to 17 years.

More on this topic

Costa Rica approves FTA with Panama

October 2008

The full session of Congress unanimously approved the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Panama yesterday after the second reading and debate.

In order for the project to become law it must first be signed the president of the Republic, Oscar Arias, and published in the government Gazette.

FTA between Costa Rica and Panama near completion

October 2008

Costa Rica legislators should approve the agreement this week at the latest after the second debate on the commercial agreement with Panama.

Congress received the ruling from the Constitutional Court which declares that the treaty does not contain any illegalities.
The agreement has the support of all the parties in the Congress, hence its approval should be quick.

Costa Rica approves FTA with Panama in first debate

August 2008

Legislators have to ratify the decision in a second round of voting once the period of ordinary sessions start next week.

The agreement signed by both countries in September 2007 came in to effect for the Panamanians last December, hence the Costa Rican productive sectors have been pressuring Congress to approve the agreement.

Costa Rica: Approval of FTA with Panama to be stepped up

August 2008

In a single session, and with the unanimous support of the nine members on the special committee for International Affairs, lawmakers ruled on the FTA with Panama.

The agreement was presented by the Executive last Monday and lawmakers took no more than two hours to endorse it. The plan will now be sent to the full session of Congress for the first debate.

 close (x)

Receive more news about International Commerce

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones

Macy's store stock clothing from US

We are offering store stock, Jobout, Customer returns women's, men's, children's clothing, accessories, shoes and many other categories from Macy's store.
Store Stock. Jobout. Customer returns. Categories: -...

Stock Indexes

(Nov 17)
Dow Jones
S&P 500


(Nov 17)
Brent Crude Oil
Coffee "C"