Costa Rica: Growth in Animal Feed Market

The union of the balanced food industry reports a 10% growth in 2016, in a market where 90% is local production and 10% are imported products.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

In 2016 Costa Rica imported 84,360 tons of animal feed, mainly from the United States, followed by Mexico with 22,700 tons, then from China, Colombia, Brazil, Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Nicaragua and France. 

A report by the Chamber of the Balanced Food Industry indicates that 90% of this food is produced locally and the remaining 10% is imported.

See "Costa Rica: Sale of Animal Nutrition Company"

"... The industry claims that tariff reduction established in free trade agreements, which allows the import of raw materials and finished goods creates undue competition, adding to other challenges such as a difficult tax situation and excessive paperwork, said Mauricio Avendano, president of the group which has 43 member companies."

La República, net reports that   "...Added to this are other factors that limit the competitiveness of the country such as deficiencies in infrastructure, high energy costs, bureaucracy, poor investment protection and legal uncertainty in contracts."

Do you need more information about your business sector?

Request more information:








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Pet Food: Business Increasing in Central America

January 2019

In the first six months of last year, countries in the region imported dog and cat food for $92 million, 14% more than in the same period in 2017.

Figures from the Business Intelligence Unit at CentralAmericaData: [GRAFICA caption="Click to interact with graphic"]

Animal Feed: Multi Million Dollar Business in Central America

July 2018

In 2017, countries in the region imported $458 million worth of animal feed preparations, 17% more than in the previous year, and the value imported from Mexico increased by 22%.

Figures from the information system on the Animal Feed Preparation Market in Central America, compiled by the Business Intelligence Unit at CentralAmericaData: [GRAFICA caption = "Click to interact with graph"]

Animal Feed Imports from the USA Up 9%

August 2017

In 2016, the value of Central American imports of animal feed from the United States totaled $95 million, 9% more than in 2015.

Figures from the Information System on the Animal Feed Preparations Market in CentralAmerica complied by the Business Intelligence Unit at CentralAmericaData: [Figure caption = "Click to interact with the graphic"]

Costa Rica: Sale of Animal Nutrition Company

March 2017

In Costa Rica, the manufacturer and marketer of laboratory animal feed, Faryvet, has been acquired by the Distrivet group, made up of Colombian, Panamanian and Costa Rican capital.

With the acquisition of Laboratorio  Faryvet, the Distrivet group intends to strengthen its business strategy, its presence in Costa Rica and particularly in Central America, where it plans to expand from Guatemala to the Colombian market.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Agroindustry

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Gluten-free food business for sale

Operating Company dedicated to the manufacture of gluten-free and sugar-free products, OHNE brand.
The OHNE brand has 8 product lines: square bread, sweet...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(May 28)
Brent Crude Oil
34.570
Coffee "C"
104.20
Gold
1,728
Silver
17.880