Costa Rica: Cattle Herd Grows 5%

Between 2017 and 2018, the number of cattle rose from 1.49 million to 1.58 million, an increase of 5%.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The National Agricultural Survey (ENA) prepared by the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses, specifies that of the total number of cattle counted in 2018, 61.8% corresponds to meat production, 15.8% was allocated to milk production, 22.2% dual purpose and finally, working animals represent 0.2%.

You may be interested in "Beef Meat: Regional Sales up to March 2019"

The document adds that ".... The study indicates that 71.3% of cattle are females, which affects the reproductive and growth capacity of the herd. In 2018, 451 052 animals were born, of which 51.5 % were meat animals, 24.4 % for milk production and 24.1 % for dual purposes.

Regarding the distribution by sex of the animals born, 49.1% were males and 50.9% were females. On the other hand, the loss of animals in the study period reached 69 245 head of cattle. Most of them were beef cattle (55.4%) and milk (24.8%). The main cause of loss in animals under 1 year old was by pests and diseases, which represented 61.1%. For animals from 1 to less than 2 years old, accidents with 34.8% were the main cause. Finally, it was found that the loss of adult animals was due to robbery, theft or piece-off, which represents 32.2%.
"

The report explains that "... In the case of pigs, it was estimated that the herd is 370 570 animals, of which 86.2% are for meat production. The remaining 13.8% corresponds to pigs for reproductive work, where females or bellies predominate (95.0%).

According to the above, there is an approximate ratio of 19 wombs to each boar. The number of pigs born on the farms was 841 110, giving a ratio of approximately 17 piglets per female. For 2018, the results are presented by the classification of number of wombs according to the Regulation on Pig Farms of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, published in 2012. Table 1 shows the distribution of the average number of births per female, days at weaning and days between weaning and pregnancy.
"

See full document (in Spanish).

¿Busca soluciones de inteligencia comercial para su empresa?

Do you need more information about your business sector?

Request more information:









this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Pig Slaughter Begins 2020 on the Rise

February 2020

Between January 2019 and the same period in 2020, the number of pigs slaughtered in Panama increased by 4%, while cattle slaughtering grew by 2%.

According to figures from the General Comptroller's Office of the Republic of Panama, 41,226 heads of pigs were slaughtered in the first month of the year, which is higher than the 39,506 reported in the same period of 2019.

Figures from the Livestock Sector in Costa Rica

February 2019

The 52% of the total cattle registered in the country corresponds to animals for meat production, 16% to dairy cattle and 31% for double purpose.

The National Agricultural Survey (ENA 2017), carried out by the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INEC), details that among the main results was found that the country has 1,497,551 head of cattle.

Panama: Figures on Cattle Slaughter

September 2018

Between January and August 2018 and the same period in 2017, the number of slaughtered cattle remained unchanged, while figures for pork slaughter increased by 11%.

According to the latest report from the Comptroller General of the Republic of Panama in the first eight months of the year, 215,854 heads of cattle were slaughtered, a figure similar to the 215,026 reported in the same period in 2017.

Panama: Statistics on Cattle and Pigs

February 2018

Up to September 2017, the number of head of cattle decreased by 2% compared to the same month in 2016, while pigs increased by 3%.

According to figures from the Livestock Survey, prepared by the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INEC), as of September 2017 there were 1.5 million cattle, 398 thousand pigs and 25.4 million hens and young chickens. 

ok