Central America: Intra-regional trade increased 3%

Trade in goods and services between the countries of the region amounted to $4.792 billion during the second quarter of the year, 3% more than in the same period of 2017.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Central America's total exports reached USD 16,299.7 million in the second quarter of 2018 and increased by 1.7% over the same period last year. 29.4% of exports went to the Central American market, while the remaining 70.6% went to third markets. The Central American Secretariat of Economic Integration reported that intra-regional exports increased 3.4% compared to the second quarter of the previous year.

According to the Central American Trade Monitor, extra regional exports increased 1.1% compared to the second quarter of 2017, representing a slowdown when compared to the evolution of previous months. The lower export dynamism towards third parties is mainly explained by the fall in the value of exports from Guatemala (-1.4%), Honduras (-4.3%) and Nicaragua (-5.8%). The slowdown in exports to the United States (+4.3%), the European Union (-0.2%) and Mexico (1.9%) is a contrast to the strong growth in exports to non-traditional destinations such as China (+133.8%), Puerto Rico (+47.0%) and South Korea (+12.8%).

Exports to the intra-regional trade register a better performance when compared to 2017; however, a gradual slowdown is observed in the value exported during the first semester of 2018. Intra-regional exports are led by medicines (4.6 % of the total); food preparations (3.6 %); plastic packaging (3.6 %); bakery, pastry or biscuit products (3.0 %) and water, including mineral and sparkling water (2.7 %).

Goods imports reached a total value of USD 36,402.6 million during the second quarter of 2018, recording an increase of 7.6% over the same period in 2017. 14.1% of Central America's imports comes from the intra-regional market; imports from the Central American market fell by 0.1% year-on-year in the second quarter of 2018, while those from third parties increased by 9.0%.

Do you need to keep track of the key economic indicators in Central America?

Request more information about our Regional Economic Monitor.








this site is protected by reCAPTCHA and Google's privacy policy and terms of service.
Need assistance? Contact us
(506) 4001-6423


More on this topic

Central American Trade Figures - Ist Quarter 2017

July 2017

Trade in goods in the region is showing signs of recovery with an increase in exports to third-party trading partners and an increase in intraregional imports.

From the Trade Monitor report by the Economic Secretariat for Central American Integration (SIECA):

Central American Trade Figures - II Quarter of 2016

October 2016

In the second quarter, the region exported $14,440 million, of which 31% went to the intra-regional market and 69% to other markets.

From the Trade Monitor of the Economic Secretariat for Central American Integration (SIECA):

Central America, October 6, 2016. The dynamics of regional trade continue in a negative phase in terms of aggregate growth and internal results in many countries, however, when compared with that seen in the previous quarter a slowdown can be seen in retail trade.  

Central American Trade Statistics

December 2011

Foreign Trade Statistics for the period July to September 2011 by the Central American Economic Integration Secretariat.

Central American trade (exports + imports) reached $60,780 million during the first nine months of 2011. This exchange is 21.9% higher than in the same period last year, equivalent in absolute terms to an increase of $10,922.4 million.

Central America: Foreign Trade Statistics

August 2011

Analysis of the Central American trade performance in the first quarters of 2010 and 2011.

In addition to the statistical analysis convergence polygons are also used as an illustrative tool in order to facilitate the analysis of regional trade.

A. Export performance
Total Central American exports in the first quarter 2011 were $7.263 million, 21.4% higher than in the same period last year.

 close (x)

Receive more news about Exports & imports

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Looking for Importers and distributors of furniture

Mexican manufacturer of office furniture seeks importers and distributors interested in dealing their products in Central America.
PM Steele is a 100% Mexican company, with more than 67...

Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Nov 23)
Brent Crude Oil
45.850
Coffee "C"
116.20
Gold
1,835
Silver
23.61