Bad Year for Honey in Costa Rica

Adverse climate effects have led to a lower production of honey, which will not be enough to meet demand in the local market by the end of the year.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

According to projections by the Tropical Bee Research Center, at the National University this year production was one-third what it was in 2014. Consequently beekeepers and packaging companies will be affected by this low level of honey production in the country.

William Mora, a representative from Ecomiel told Nacion.com that "... The decline has been seen for four years. A sale of 90 barrels was expected for every year, but so far there are only about 30. However so far they only have one and it is projected that production will keep going until June to meet the needs of customers. "

Johan Van Veen, researcher at the Center for Tropical Bee Research at the National University, added that "... Drought affects soil moisture, trees produce flowers but with little nectar, also wind conditions make the bees spend more energy going out in search of food, and the little they get they use to feed other bees that leave the hive. "



More on this topic

Panama: Beekeeping Production Drops

July 2016

The increase in the number of beekeepers and hives during 2015 was not enough to avoid a drop in production, especially in Panama Oeste, where 519 fewer gallons were produced.

According to data from the Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA), "...

Guatemala: Drastic drop in Honey Exports

April 2016

The fall in international prices coupled with a 50% decline in production explains the negative outlook that beekeepers have for this year, 2016.

Reports state that the international price has fallen by up to 55%, as a metric ton of honey went from trading at between $4,000 and $4,200 in 2015 to a range of $2,000 to $2,400 so far this year, reports Prensalibre.com.

El Salvador: Honey No Longer Profitable

April 2016

The value of honey exports fell by 80% in the first four months of the harvest from 2015 to 2016, and the volume decreased by 70%.

Honey exports in El Salvador fell by 70% between November 2015 and February 2016 compared to the same period previously. The fall has been explained by the effects of drought, but with more intensity, in the low international price of honey, well below the production costs per hundredweight, according to the Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education (Catie) published by Elmundo.sv. Beekeeping cooperatives have received offers of $55 per hundredweight, which contrast with the $125 offered in 2015.

Guatemala: Honey Exports Up 42%

October 2015

So far in 2015 $9.1 million worth has been exported, a 42% increase in higher than total exports in 2014, when the sales amounted $6.4 million.

Of the total produced, 85% was sold abroad, with only the remaining 15% being consumed locally. So far this year, exports have increased in value and volume, going from 1,964 tons in 2014 to 2330 tons this year, according to the Beekeeping Committee at the Guatemalan Association of Exporters (AGEXPORT).

 close (x)

Receive more news about Agriculture & Food

Suscribe FOR FREE to CentralAmericaDATA EXPRESS.
The most important news of Central America, every day.

Type in your e-mail address:

* Al suscribirse, estará aceptando los terminos y condiciones


Stock Indexes

(Apr 6)
Dow Jones
-5.60%
S&P 500
-5.10%
Nasdaq
-5.64%

Commodities

(Dec 3)
Brent Crude Oil
71.55
Coffee "C"
238.25
Gold
1,766
Silver
22.27