The Ministry of Energy and Mining indicated that more than 50% of the country’s energy is supplied by plants owned by Alba de Nicaragua S.A. (Albanisa).
Emilio Rappaccioli, head of the ministry, added that prices will remain stable and that, at the moment, 77% of the energy is from thermal power stations while the remaining 23% comes from renewable sources.
Globeleq Generation Limited (Globeleq), an energy company, announced the acquisition of a 100% stake in the project Eolo de Nicaragua S.A. which aims to generate 44 MW.
Eolo is in the province of Rivas on the shore of Lake Nicaragua, about 125 kilometers south of the capital, Managua. The electricity will be produced using 22 wind turbines of 2.0MW each, and will be sold through two trade agreements for the purchase of energy within 20 years to the private companies Distribuidora Eléctricidad de Sur S.A. (DISSUR) y Distribuidora Eléctricidad de Norte S.A. (DISNORTE), both subsidiaries of Gas Natural from Spain.
Eletrobras has sold its stake in Centrales Hidroeléctricas de Nicaragua for $44 million, clearing the way for the eventual resurgence of the hydroelectric project.
In a significant event notice sent to the stock market, the Brazilian company Eletrobras explained that Empresa Nicaraguense de Eletricidad (Enel) and Distribuidora de Electricidad del Norte S.A. - DISNORTE, bought its entire shareholding in CHN.
The government granted licenses to two companies for operation and maintenance of two hydroelectric power plants.
The permits were granted to Hidroeléctrica Piedra Puntuda S.A. and to Energía Tropical Sostenible Cerro Frío S.A.
"The first permit is for project Piedra Puntuda, which will build a hydropower plant with an installed capacity of 15 megawatts at Mico River, in the municipality of Muelle de los Bueyes, in the Southern Caribbean ...
Investment made by Guatemalan companies in Nicaragua almost tripled between 2014 and 2015, with money mainly going into energy, sugar, palm oil and tourism.
In the past eight years Guatemalan companies have invested $246 million in Nicaragua, according to ProNicaragua.In 2013 the highest amount in the last five years was recorded, with $46 million being invested in the country.In 2014 the amount of investment was only $6 million, while in 2015 it amounted to $16.7 million.
The company Cogeneración Green Power S.A., owner of the electrical cogeneration project in Ingenio Montelimar, today inaugurated a modern plant, with the aim of increasing production of energy and sugar within the mill. The project has an installed capacity of 38 MW, approximately five percent of domestic demand, and represents an investment of US $76 million.
The Energy Ministry green lighted Blue Power & Energy to build a 40 MW wind power farm.
It also granted the company a wind power generation license for the next 30 years.
“Blue Power will become the third company to produce wind power in Nicaragua”, reported Sdpnoticias.com. “Amayo I and II and Eolo Nicaragua, wind farms already operating in the country, have a combined capacity of 100 MWh”.
After declaring a "national emergency" in the energy sector, president Daniel Ortega decided to intervene in the company, which was having difficulties in meeting the local demand for gas.
Ortega authorized the Nicaragua Institute of Energy (INE) to temporarily take over the company's gas import and distribution installations and said that the intervention will be for six month and that this will in no way affect the property rights of the company, according to reports in the La Prensa newspaper.
A $20 million concessional loan will help enhance power generation and distribution
The Inter-American Development Bank approved a $20 million concessional loan on June 30 to help improve the quantity, reliability and quality of the energy supply required for Nicaragua's sustained economic growth.
"Integral Energy Solutions" for both the domestic and commercial market. Our mission is to design, develop and install modern systems of renewable energy which support the environment.
Operates in Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Costa Rica
Phone: (506) 2290 0668 - (506) 2290 2422
AES Panama is the largest electricity generation company in Panama, in terms of installed capacity as well as delivered energy.
AES Panama is a subsidiary of AES Corporation, with headquarters in Arlington, Virgina, United States, and holds the 49% of shares in the operations of this generating company.
Since late 2007, AES Panama owns four hydroelectric plants with an installed capacity of 482 Megawatts: Bayano (260 MW), Estí (120 MW), La Estrella (47.2 MW), and Los Valles (54.8 MW).
Our main clients are the three energy distribution companies in Panama: Elektra Noreste, S.A., Empresa de Distribución Eléctrica Metro-Oeste, S.A., and Empresa de Distribución Eléctrica Chiriquí, S.A., which represent the 95% of the company’s energy sales. The remaining 5% corresponds to energy sales to Great Costumers, which are businesses with monthly energy consumption greater than 100 kilowatts.
Operates in Panama
Phone: (507) 206-2652
In late 2005, AES began developing the Changuinola hydro power project and currently the project is in the phase of building the roadways to access that facility. The formal cornerstone laying ceremony took place on October 25, 2007.
The project's total completion represents an investment of approximately $563 million and the estimated date for the Changuinola hydro power plant to go into commercial operation is the first quarter of 2011. Through this new facility, AES contributes to the country's development and helps face the growing demand of energy in Panama, which requires an additional 50 MW each year.
The construction of the new Changuinola I Hydro Power Plant:
* is an asset to Panama
* will generate clean and 100% Panamanian energy
* will create opportunities for previously excluded populations
* will contribute to solve the country's energy situation
* will help Panama to continue growing
The construction and operation of the hydro power plant will be under the responsibility of AES, a multinational energy corporation with world-class standards and an active presence in Panama.
Operates in Panama
Phone: (507) 206-2600
Production, transport & commercialization of alternative electrical energy. Consuling, advising & development of energy projects. Water & soil treatment sanitation & treatment. Air emission control.
Operates in Guatemala
Phone: (502) 5819-8166 - (502) 2260-3103