Productivity of beef, pork and onions improved between May 2015 and April 2016, while projected goals were not achieved for rice, beans and white corn.
The goals set at the beginning of the Solis management to facilitate conditions for raising agricultural productivity have been met by half, since of the products identified as "sensitive" because of strong competition faced externally, only beef, pork and onions managed to exceed the targets set for the first year.
The government has authorized the purchase of 20,000 pounds of yellow onions to reduce the price in the local market while the product remains scarce.
The authorization came from Orlando Solorzano, Minister of Development, Industry and Commerce, who said traders and producers of yellow onion agree with the policy, because the perishable product has risen in price in the country's markets.
Producers and importers have ended the conflict and agreed to approve the import of 90 thousand hundredweight of onions until December 15 and with a tariff of 72%.
After several months of disagreements over the amount to be imported, the producers union finally reached an agreement with traders to allow the entry of 90,000 hundredweight as a measure to solve the problem of shortages generated by the lack of rainfall in growing areas .
Eternal conflict over the import of onions: Now the government is accusing importers of speculating with import volumes, distorting market expectations.
Panamaamerica.com.pa reports that "... The Minister of Agricultural Development, Jorge Arango, has accused importers of market speculation, saying that they will be importing an overwhelming amount of onions, when in fact it won't be true.'They are saying that they will import 800,000 kilos of onions and what they are bringing in are 10,000 kilos, causing despair among producers and depressing the local market'. "
After negotiating with local producers and importers, the government has authorized the purchase abroad of 48,800 hundredweight of onions during the second half of the year.
Official sources say that the country produces 440,000 hundredweight of onions every year, a production level that in Nicaragua covers 90% of domestic demand, therefore there is a need to cover the remaining 10%.
The Ministry of Agriculture is projecting that local production of potatoes and onions will not be enough to meet domestic demand, and in the months of January and February 2015 imports will need to be made.
According to estimates arising from the latest survey conducted by the Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA) production of potatoes and onions in the early months of 2015 will not be sufficient to meet demand therefore analysis is being undertaken on how much will need to be imported.
With an investment of nearly a million dollars the Panamanian government will build a plant for drying onions in Nata, Panama.
The Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA in Spanish) is awaiting approval by the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) to initiate the bidding process and construction of the project, according to an article in PanamaAmerica.com.pa.
Later this month construction will begin on a plant for drying and storing onions in the municipality of Güinope, El Paraíso.
The head of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (SAG), Jacobo Regalado, also announced the planned construction of another plant in the department of Ocotepequeuna. In addition, a facility for drying and storing potatoes will be built in Intibucá. ‘The idea of making these buildings is to consolidate the supply chain for these items’, he said.