There are concerns that the trade partners are constructing a commercial “house of cards” built on shaky foundations made of political rhetoric.
During Daniel Ortega’s government exports from Nicaragua to Venezuela have increased from $2m to $119m. The figure for 2010 will likely be double the latter. The main products exported are beans, meat and livestock.
While the people of Honduras continue to suffer from international isolation, the political and diplomatic corporation of Latin America and the Caribbean will discuss its fate in Cancún.
The Rio Group (an OAS alternative), will become the next stage in which the representatives of the region’s governments will promote their own political and personal projects, as they discuss the future of a theoretically sovereign country.
In Honduras, a inflexible Latin American diplomacy failed, forcing the intervention of the only country capable of forcing an agreement.
The agreement negotiated by Assistant Secretary of State Thomas Shannon is a testimony of the considerable influence that Washington still has over Latin America, despite verbal attempts by Chávez and other leaders of the region to undermine it.
ALBANISA is a group of companies with activities and interests in many sectors of Nicaragua's economy.
It is a mixed private company, 49% owned by Nicaraguan state petrol company "Petróleos de Nicaragua" (Petronic), while the remaining 51% is owned by its Venezuelan counterpart, "Petróleos de Venezuela" (PDVSA). It was created in 2007, as a result of Nicaragua's entry to ALBA, the Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas.
The Washington Post: "The only good way out of the Honduran crisis is to go forward with the presidential election scheduled for Nov. 29."
"The only good way out of the Honduran crisis is to go forward with the presidential election scheduled for Nov. 29 and to do so in a way that will allow Hondurans to freely express themselves and governments around the region to accept the results. At the moment, no government is willing to sanction a vote overseen by Mr. Micheletti's administration, and the United Nations has withdrawn its support for the process. If his aim is really to save democracy in his country Mr. Micheletti must act quickly to legitimize the election. The simplest way to do that is to accept the plan put forward months ago by Costa Rican President Oscar Arias -- though any formula that leads to an internationally recognized vote will do. Without a path to elections, the domestic conflict will only intensify -- and that, again, will only help Mr. Zelaya and Mr. Chávez."
Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez accepted the application presented by President Martín Torrijos on behalf of Panama for admission to Petrocaribe.
Neir Carrasco wrote in an article in Laestrella.com.pa: "To do this, Panama has to comply with the requirements established by Petrocaribe; admission will then be consummated. Torrijos and Chavez confirmed the intention which according to the Panamanian president 'means having great possibilities opened for outlining agreements and finding ways for the two countries to have closer ties so they can look for integration mechanisms.’"
Daniel Ortega admitted that the European Union has frozen $43 million as well as the impact that the cancellation of the Millennium Challenge Account by the US will have.
The Nicaraguan president proposed aid from Venezuela as the only alternative to overcome the freezing of external cooperation, despite the fact that Venezuela is going through a severe economic crisis due to the drop in the price of petroleum.
The drop in petroleum prices does not lessen Arias' intention to join PetroCaribe.
The PetroCaribe project created by Hugo Chaves in 2005 known as the "Alba energy platform" is about to gain a new member. Costa Rica has formally asked to join inspired by the payment terms that Caracas offers its 18 members in Central America and the Caribbean. Not even the international petroleum price drop has affected the Arias Government's interest and they will be given membership in December.
Key representative/s from the Guatemalan Exporters’ Association last 13-15 October attended the 8th TPO Network World Conference to exchange ideas and best practice around stimulating export-led economic growth and meeting the urgent challenges in the sector.