Sanitary certification of slaughterhouses in Panama could take three years, therefor Panamanian farmers are planning to export beef to the United States via Costa Rica.
Senior U.S. government officials have warned the livestock sector of Panama that obtaining medical records and certificates of origin which are required in order to be able to export to their country, could take at least three years.
After two decades of steady reductions in the area devoted to the production of meat and milk, 2011 showed a rise in exports.
Many ranches have become littered with pineapple plantations, which offer better profit margins, and in this way, of the 2.4 million hectares occupied in 1988, the business now occupies about 1 million hectares, which has been adjusted according to final data from the National Livestock Survey in progress.
Beef cattle is mainly marketed in 17 auctions in which around one million head per year are sold.
Data from the National Animal Health Service (SENASA), indicates that almost 80% of all the cattle sold in Costa Rica is done so via livestockauctions, while the remaining 20% goes directly to packing plants.
The Agricultural Competitiveness Trust will include in its budget allocations for breeders of beef cattle and milk cattle for the purchase of stallions, improved pastures, and other things.
"The deputy minister of MIDA, Gerardino Batista, announced yesterday that sectors producing beef cattle and milk cattle will be incorporated for the first time into the Agricultural Competitiveness Trust (Fideicomiso para la Competitividad Agropecuaria in Spanish), which provides incentives in areas such as the purchase of stallions, improved pastures and other things limited to the amount of $100,000", reported Panamaamerica.com.pa.
Panamanian farmers plan to export 15,000 veal calves per year to Mexico and are preparing to send thousands of heads to Costa Rica.
Panamanian farmers will send about 15,000 calves for fattening to Mexico a year, and aim to confirm the export of between 7,000 and 8,000 head of cattle to Costa Rica, where they have already sent 360 cattle.
The Nicaraguan Government’s National Cattle Traceability Program has invested $5.8 million and to date has managed to register 260,000 head of cattle from the five thousand registered ranches.
From a press release from the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (Magfor):
The National Cattle Traceability Program implemented by the Government of Nicaragua through the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, has spent $5.8 million and managed to register to date, 260,000 head of cattle in five thousand registered ranches.
The herd consists of 648,929 females producing milk and meat, according to a report by the National Animal Health Service.
Costa Rica closed 2011 with a herd made up of 648,929 females producing milk and meat and a total of 16,125 farms, of which 6,692 are listed as specializing in dairy products and as 9,433 as dual purpose, reported Elfinancierocr.com.
The Livestock Tracking Program has been launched in Nicaragua. During a first phase, records of some 200,000 animals will be started.
Nicaragua's General Office of Animal Protection and Sanitation (DGPSA in Spanish), a department within the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAGFOR), announced the beginning of the Livestock Tracking Program.
Lack of livestock traceability is preventing access of meat to the European market, for which there is a quota of 9,000 tons.
The biggest challenge facing the region is to meet the health, environmental and competitiveness standards demanded by those markets, said Alexander Acosta, from the United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
METAGRO is a Guatemalan based manufacturer that provides high end solutions of agricultural transport equipment, we are focused on helping customers be more productive as they help to improve the quality of life for people around the world.
Operates in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama
Phone: (502) 2383 2720 - (502) 5595 9953